Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Round the history blogs 8 - bits and pieces

A bit over two months since my last round-up of history blogs.

Point and counter-point in history has already recorded my reaction to two of Janine Rizzeti's latest posts. This is a very good blog for those interested in Australian history, with references too to Canada,

Hat tip to North Coast Voices for identifying a new history blog for me, Yvonne Perkins' Stumbling Through the Past. There were always people here: a history of Yuraygir National Park reports on a new history of this park on the North Coast written by Johanna Kijas and published by the New South Wales Department of Environment and Climate Change. This is an area I have a particular interest in. Sadly, the link to the history itself is down as I write. Hopefully, it will be back up soon.

Archives Outside continues to provide access to a range of interesting material. Each month they have a link round up post, last month October 2010: Link roundup post, providing links to a range of historical and/or archival material. This includes New England material. Their tag system is not quite as good as it should be, but you can access New England material here and here. Note that their definition of New England is narrower than mine; I use the broader definition of new state New England.

On the new state, a post I wrote here, When was the New England rampant lion first raised?, led to a radio interview on New England North West ABC local radio. This led to a follow up post of mine on another blog, Is the New England lion Finnish?. This includes a link through to the page ABC New England North West created following the interview; an mp3 recording of the interview can be found there.

I suspect that very few, if any, of my history round-up posts have not contained a reference to Helen Webberley's ART and ARCHITECTURE mainly. Seriously, this is a very good blog indeed. Take, as an example, An extraordinary war heroine: Irena Sendler. This is a remarkably inspirational post about a woman I had never heard of.

A Fortean in the Archives is sub-titled Strange stories. But with sources. Strange they are. From Mike Dash's Erotic secrets of Lord Byron’s tomb I learned that embalming fluid expands the size of the penis! More seriously, the post draws out something of a man who continues to occupy a legendary place in history.

The 2010 Cliopatria awards are now open for nominations. There are a number of categories, with the winners to be announced at the American Historical Association Annual Meeting in early January 2011.

The global standard in history blogs in is very high. To see what I mean, have a look at Rachel Leow's Curating the Oceans: The Future of Singapore’s Past, the best individual blog post of 2009. This is very good writing indeed. I was already following Rachel's blog. Sadly, she has not updated it since February of this year. Rachel, I miss you!

I would like to think that some of the Australian blogs might feature in the future. However and speaking just for myself, I have got some distance to go before I would lodge a personal nomination.

Well, I am out of time. More later.

No comments: